Wednesday 15 September 2010

All I have seen through dark glasses

So far the '3D' film effect has only annoyed me. Admittedly, I've only seen one 3D film - Toy Story 3. I watched it with two pairs of glasses on and spent a lot of the time trying to work out what I was supposed to be seeing. I couldn't see any difference from watching it in plain old two-dimensions. Only that it was darker. A colourful, wonderful film was put into a shade - like I was wearing sunglasses (incidentally, the glasses package instructs you 'NOT' to use them as sunglasses - oh alright then, I won't). I tried taking them off, but it was just a brighter blurry mess. I started to think that my eyes weren't picking up the effect, as everyone else seemed to be enjoying their new spectacles. To be fair though, this was the wrong film to judge it by. Someone at Pixar has said that they designed the 3D effect to be subtle and understated. But then why do it at all? Just to go along with the trend? Surely Pixar don't do that sort of thing. It didn't enhance the film, it just made it worse (maybe 'less good' is the right term). I haven't seen Avatar. I haven't seen Something Else 3D. I've only seen Toy Story 3 lose its colour. So at this point, I'm still just annoyed.

Some people have called 3D a revolution in film. Others say it'll be reduced to novelty status by this time next year. I don't know. I've yet to see this extra dimension. 'Things jump off the screen and hang in front of your eyes'. Really? Ok, I'll take your word for it. I'm far behind the rest of Film Land with this. I don't even know what they're talking about. I'm willing to let it go. It's probably got one more chance to impress me. But the glasses: necessity or money-making scheme? Nintendo have made a new DS console that does 3D without glasses. Clever people could make cinema screens like this. If it's revolutionary it must be worth the money.

2 comments:

  1. 3D stuff is overrated. I saw Toy Story in 3D (they weren't showing it otherwise) and it definitely didn't make a difference.

    Maybe it's because i also have to double up on the glasses. Film people just have no respect for the speccy people of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uttterly concur! And I had to buy three pairs of the bloody things.
    I think they gave me a headache too.

    ReplyDelete