Monday 18 April 2011

Things Monsters is better than

I don't write about every film I see. I don't want to methodically criticise everything like a crazy reviewing mad person. But sometimes something is worth mentioning. Like Monsters. Made by tiny bunch of people wandering around Central America with a camera, making half of it up as they go along. You probably know that already though, as that's all the promotional stuff goes on about. It's pretty interesting in itself, but you'll want to watch the film first. It's a good one. A road movie through an alien-infested Mexico. Two characters and a bit of romance-action-horror. If Scoot McNairy's presence makes it seem like an apocalyptic In Search of a Midnight's Kiss, that can only be a good thing. The lack of action and 'creatures' appearing every ten seconds means that the characters can come to the front, and the danger seems more important. The tight focus makes it more of an adventure, more of a story than it's bigger budget friends.
It's something that'll stick with you after it's finished. Because traipsing through the jungle with these people is quite fun. One of them says 'I don't want to go home', and she's right.  It might be dangerous but it can also be a nice place to be. Like sleeping on the top of a pyramid or sailing across a river at dawn. There's some amazing sights in this film. It stops to look at the view and take in the scenery. Like a massive wall constructed across the US's border to keep the aliens out - brilliantly done, like the rest of the effects, by a few people. The massive squid monsters aren't bad either. Somebody needs to take a few million dollars from Hollywood directors, and force them to make films like this.

6 comments:

  1. I think I'm stupid because I can't figure out if you liked the film :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the few things I liked as much as this movie was the making-of documentary. Only two paid actors, and the rest were Mexican residents willing to play along. Best of all? The 'monster' underwent a Beauty Queen talent process, whereby the director drew a thousand sketches of lovely wobbly monsters and asked the producers to pick their favourite. Now that's a rare work meeting I genuinely wish I could have attended!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, the making-of was like a second film. Really surprising to see that everyone else were just random bystanders.

    I think I missed the wobbly monster competition. I'll have to rent it back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely! Except I put it to you that 'Monsters' isn't really better than voles. Few things are...

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, I had a good think about it, and Monsters is definitely better than voles.

    ReplyDelete